Catalent Biologics - Madison


BiotechProfiles™ is the premier resource for jobs, company information, professional networking and productivity tools in the Madison, Wisconsin biotechnology and medical device industry. Recognized as one of the premier emerging biotechnology clusters in the U.S., this robust industry sector comprises nearly 10,000 employees in approximately 150 companies. BiotechProfiles also maintains a unique directory of the largest 250 pharmaceutical companies worldwide, including business development contacts whenever available. This tool is indispensable for executives pursuing strategic alliances and technology licenses.
Designed as a suite of easy to use, searchable databases that are continually updated, BiotechProfiles serves the needs of biotech business development and operational executives in early stage companies, as well as the general public. With these tools you can quickly bypass the data collection and screening stage and immediately focus on solving your strategic partnering or operational needs. We've assembled your background data for you!
  Next »

BiotechProfiles is also the premier site for data on Biotechnology Companies in Madison Wisconsin, Biotechnology Jobs in Madison Wisconsin

Biotechnology Companies in Madison Wisconsin; Biotechnology Jobs in Madison Wisconsin
  « Previous | Next »

Biotechnology Business Development, Partnering and Strategic Alliances

Biotechnology Business Development, Partnering and Strategic Alliances
  « Previous | Next »

Madison Biotechnology Companies; Madison Biotechnology Jobs

Madison Biotechnology Companies; Madison Biotechnology Jobs
  « Previous | Next »

List or rank of Largest Pharmaceutical Companies Worldwide

List of rank of Largest Pharmaceutical Companies Worldwide
  « Previous


Company Profile

Catalent Biologics - Madison was established in 1996 from technology developed at the University of Wisconsin. This rapidly growing company has a wide range of capabilities in the fields of molecular biology, vector biology, cell line development, biopharmaceutical manufacturing, protein biochemistry, and quality systems. The company’s core proprietary technology is GPEx® (Gene Product Expression), a gene insertion/expression technology that allows rapid creation of stable, high-expressing mammalian cell lines for a wide variety of gene products. The company's 100,000 square foot facility is devoted to GPEx®-based cell line development and cGMP-compliant protein production. The company has bioreactor production capacity at scales of 250L, 500L, 1,000L and 2,000L that can handle up to Phase III clinical and commercial materials.
Business Sectors
Pharmaceuticals   Human Diagnostics  
Med or Lab Devices   Lab Reagents or Services  
Drug Manufacturing Food & Agribusiness  
CRO   Bioinformatics or Software  
Company History
Catalent Biologics - Madison was founded as Gala Design Inc. in 1996 (and was later known as Gala Biotech). Cardinal Health bought 58% for $10M in October 2002, invested an additional $12M in infrastructure, then bought remaining 42% for $15.5M in October 2003. In April 2007 Cardinal spun-out its Pharmaceutical and Technologies Services Group (of which Gala is a member) to The Blackstone Private Equity Group, and the Group was renamed Catalent Pharma Solutions. In 2013, the company relocated into a 100,000 square foot facility in Madison formerly occupied by GE/Lunar. This facility added 22,000 square feet in 2017 to support late phase and commercial production.

LEADERSHIP ROLL: Tom McNally 1996-2001; Mike Wokasch 2001-2002; Paul Weiss PhD 2002-2007; Shawn Gallagher 2007-2008; Michael Jenkins PhD 2008-2014; Brian Riley 2014-present.
Catalent Biologics - Madison
Address 726 Heartland Trail
[Map] Madison
Phone 608-824-9920
Fax 608-824-9930
Website Link
Head Brian Riley
Company Statistics
Global Headcount 300
Local Headcount 300
Year Founded 1996
Ownership Subsidiary
Stock Exchange

Parent Company
Divisional Level
Senior Level Catalent Pharma Solutions [Somerset, NJ]
Global Headcount 55000
Website Link
Stock Exchange NYSE
Reference Documents
Corporate Profile
Catalent Biologics - 2012 [View]
Site Profile - Catalent Website [View]
2019 - Catalent Plans $100M Expansion [View]
2016 - Catalent to expand Madison facility [View]
2015 - Catalent Looks to Expand Madison Facility [View]
2012 - Catalent Plans Move [View]
2007 - Cardinal Health Spins Out Pharma Services Division as Catalent [View]
2001 - Gala Design on Success [View]
Selected Press Releases
2003 - Gala Biotech Acquired by Cardinal Health [View]